30 April 2010

HIGH STRANGENESS IMMANENT



Since Mr. Scampers recommended it in his fake Twitter feed, and because the soon to be posted essay deals with the strange realm of biblical gnosticism as advocated by someone who claimed Christianity is but a mental emanation, find below for your enjoyment the classic instrumental La Villa Strangiato by my hometown band RUSH.

From the Album: Hemispheres
Original Recording: Rockfield Studios, Wales (June/July 1978)
This Live Version: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2002)

BREAKDOWN:
----
--------------La Villa Strangiato (An excercise in Self-Indulgence)

------
----------------I. Buenos Nochas, Mein Froinds!
----------------------II. To sleep, perchance to dream...
----------------------III. Strangiato theme
----------------------IV. A Lerxst in Wonderland
----------------------V. Monsters!
----------------------VI. The Ghost of Aragon
----------------------VII. Danforth and Pape
----------------------VIII. The Waltz of the Shreves
----------------------IX. Never turn your back on a Monster!
----------------------X. Monsters! (Reprise)
----------------------XI. Strangiato theme (Reprise)
----------------------XII. A Farewell to Things





Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Mary said...

Scampers can be a little crabby sometimes, but he's got excellent musical taste.

This live version is even better than than the studio version, IMO. Alex cracks me up!

Looking forward to the essay.

TH2 said...

On the Vapor Trails tours, Alex would always go on those humorous, bizarre rants after part IX of La Villa.

Larry Denninger said...

Great song - 216 tempo changes and all!

"Trees" next please!

TH2 said...

D-Man: You're just too cool. You definitely know your stuff.

Trees: "Exit... Stage Left" live version my fav. Good synth interlude. Geddy gradually making transition from Rickenbacker to Fender Jazz around this time.

Larry Denninger said...

I haven't listened to much of their newer material. I lost interest after Signals and Grace Under Pressure. I think I gave Presto a shot, but couldn't get into it.

You can't find a greater stretch of albums from a band, starting with 2112 and ending at Moving Pictures.

As power trios go, very few compare to Rush.

TH2 said...

Agreed. I have got their newer/later CD's, but for me preferred range is early stuff up to "The Big Money" (1st song) on "Power Windows". Very much enjoy their instrumentals, especially YYZ (which I used to know to play on bass).

Mary said...

Gotta disagree with LarryD and TH2 on Presto. I found the bunnies quite fetching, and the first five songs had the perfect tempi to sustain years of working out on the Nordic Track. Yeah, the style was different, but hey, whatever.

TH2 said...

Granted, Mary. I am certainly in no position to challenge you. Clearly, I am out of my league. Though I favour their earlier stuff, here is a list of songs from their latter albums that I do very much like:

1. Presto / Show Don't Tell: great bass line near end
2. Roll the Bones / Where's My Thing? (Part IV, "Gangster of Boats" Trilogy)
3. Counterparts / Leave That Thing Alone
4. Test for Echo / Limbo
5. Snakes and Arrows / Malignant Narcissism

Note that, with the exception of one, they are all instrumentals.

Post a Comment