11 February 2012

BRAHMS AND BOLLYWOOD

Hello there. It's your friendly neighbourhood TH2 once again. Admittedly, that last post wasn't so friendly in tone and exposition, so maybe it's time for a break, for something upbeat. Working on some odds and ends, hopefully to be uploaded soon. But, in the meantime, some music for your enjoyment...

First up is Brahms' Allegro giosco from his Symphony No. 4 in E minor, Opus 98. Heads up on the Sforzando forte about midway through the composition, at 3:25. A very nice piece...



Let's now head eastward to Bombay circa 1989 and listen/watch the song Jugni Aayee Dulhan Bankar from the Hindi film Main Tera Dushman. A favourite of mine, funny, somewhat enigmatic, makes me smile. Playback singer is Kavita Krishnamurthy, performed by the always charming Sridevi...



Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

AllenT said...

Everytime I see one of these Bollywood musical pieces I think of Ugazzo Home Vision from the SCTV Godfather parody.

Barona said...

Wagner dealt with abuse of his music effectively: "sir, take your hands off my music or go to hell". Sadly, a number of years ago when a soft drink company used - in essence profaned - his music this tactic did not work. Probably due to the level of barbarism of those in the company employ. In a similar manner, displaying distain for civilization a few years ago the City of Toronto used the great man's work to promote sanitation etc. Again, absolutely sickening. One could ask: why did these cultural thugs not sue rap or some other sickening unhealthy sound??

Fluffy Kerpuffle said...

I may have missed something, but is one of these works being abused?  Although neither of these pieces is by Wagner, I do think his work is perhaps best listened to as accompaniment to a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Fluffy Kerpuffle said...

I have a violinist friend who would positively swoon over anything by Brahms, and she always spoke his name with great reverence. I think his orchestral works are a bit nicer than his organ works, though.

The best part of the Bollywood video is Sridevi flying up to the balcony.  Classic!

Give my best to Mr. Scampers (hint hint.)

TH2 said...

Barona: The intention of juxtaposing the two videos was not to "abuse" or mock Brahms' music (if that was what you were inferring, not sure). In fact, I really enjoy that piece, have so for many years. Though, given the nature of this blog, I can see how the juxtaposition might have been misinterpreted, so I'll humbly accept the criticism. But I also very much like Bolllywood films/music, specifically the 70s-80s era. Both videos/pieces are upbeat, which was the sense I wanted to communicate for this post.

TH2 said...

Yes, the balcony jump is a good one. Right out of the blue, unexpected. I'll talk to Mr. Scampers and see if I can get him to do a new post. He's been rather slothful over the last year or so.

Barona said...

My only concern is the use of great music by popular (not really etymologically) "culture". 

Barona said...

... ah yes, the operatic "accomplishments" of Elmer et al... 

Post a Comment