16 April 2010

FREAKY FLOYD FRIDAY + ALTERNATIVES



Figured I'd load this one on deck in the meantime.

This rare session recorded in France A.D. 1972.

But perhaps not amenable to everyone's taste...









ALTERNATIVE NO. 1:
-----------ECHOES [PINK FLOYD Live at Pompeii]
-------------------------------------Atmospheric. Ethereal. Escape.

DVD Liner Notes: "...colorful, imaginative, surrealistic and highly inventive - lends itself very well to visual representation. Shot in and around the ancient amphitheatre among the ruins of old Pompeii... a stunning audio-visual experience. This session was skillfully recorded in the sun splashed arena by day and amidst the eerily-lit scene of volcanic destruction by night, and is a perfect transition from audio to video media."

ENTER HERE









ALTERNATIVE NO. 2:
------
St. Paul Athens Saturday Schola


Think Rick Wright is a great organist? Think again.
Exit secular music. Enter sacred music. Go see Mary at St. Paul's and listen to her rendition of Jiri Ropek's Variations on Victimae Paschali Laudes / #8


LISTEN HERE

Be astounded.

TH2 added himself to Mary's FOLLOWERS gadget. You should too.


Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Anita Moore said...

Hey, I was just listening to these guys in my office yesterday when I had a court-free day. One or two colleagues came by and made faces.

Some people just don't know what's good.

Mary said...

Oh TH2, I'm so embarrassed! Thank you. I should point out that my recording is only the 8th variation; I'm going to try to put on the whole piece (theme + eight variations) soon.

TH2 said...

Anita:

Indeed, some just don't know. My Floyd preference if pre-Dark Side (1973). The pinnacle for me is their album Meddle (1971), from which Echoes comes - my all time favorite (studio version good too). As a hardheaded Catholic, the dilemma for me - of course - has been the music as such contra the philosophy advocated. Here distinctions must be made. Good music v. lousy lyrics.

The lyrics from Echoes, for example, has a swirling playfulness about it:

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine.

I like surreal existential quality in that sequence. But, then, there is that classic line from Dark Side of the Moon:

All that you touch
And all that you see
Is all that your life will ever be...

Here we see Rogers Waters extolling that typically atheistic British empiricism, which likely traces back to Jeremy Bentham's utilitarianism and, even further, back to John Locke, "tabula rasa", etc.

What rises above all this, of course, is another British superband... The Spice Girls. THEY RULE ! :o

TH2 said...

Mary:

I did publish your comment, but it seems that it does not appear on my main page (in terms of the # of comments), but it will appear if you click the post title. Apologies. Likely, it will eventually pop up. Been having this problem for a while.

You said: "I should point out that my recording is only the 8th variation; I'm going to try to put on the whole piece (theme + eight variations) soon." You did specify 8th variation... that's why I put "8" in the post. I am very much looking forward to your recording of the "whole piece".

LarryD said...

Rick Wright is okay, but Rick Wakeman is/was better.

Keith Emerson towers above both.

IMHO.

TH2 said...

Wakeman is an excellent keyboardist. I especially like his playing on Yes' "Fragile" album - an oldie but a goodie.

Mary said...

Regarding Yes: I could not believe my ears when I first heard Going For the One (the song AND the album). Wakeman's keyboards opened my eyes to possibilities within progressive rock (which I've always been enamored of). The stuff STILL sounds great to me.

TH2 said...

Just checked it out - there's a number of videos on YouTube with the "Sessions" of Going for the One.

By the way...Chris Squire (of Yes) is a great bass player who, incidentally, uses a pick instead of fingers.

Post a Comment